Prepare for the Fair
When will the 2017 Engineering Expo be held?
Expo will be held on Tuesday, September 26th and Wednesday, September 27th. New this year: The time of the Engineering Expo has changed. The career fair will now run from 1:00pm to 6:00pm! Plan your schedules accordingly.
Where will the 2017 Engineering Expo be held?
Expo will be held at the Ohio Union. Employers will be on THREE FLOORS of the Ohio Union. Visit employers in these locations:
Great Hall Meeting Rooms and Performance Hall - First Floor
Archie Griffin Grand Ballroom - Second Floor
Cartoon Room - Third Floor
How to prepare for the Engineering Expo?
Before the Expo:
* Clarify your goals. What do you hope to get out of the career fair? Possible goals might be: (1) to learn about employers who hire your major—whether or not you’re actually looking for a job right now; (2) to pick up information and business cards of potential employers so you could contact them later; (3) to give your resume to recruiters; (4) to ask if they will be interviewing the next day, and if so, to schedule an interview.
* Be sure to do your research --in advance-- and think about why you are interested in the employer and how you might connect your background with their needs. To help with your research, a full version of the program listing the employers who will attend will be available on this website after September 12th. You may also research employers via the Career Fair+ app and by using your CareerEngine account.
* Prepare a 30 second introduction for yourself that introduces yourself, expresses why you are interested in that organization or industry, and briefly relates your background to what you know of the employer's needs. Practice your introduction. Think about two or three questions you might ask.
* If you have a resume, bring copies. If not, don’t skip the event! Ask for business card from the employers which interest you and send a letter and your resume later.
* Dress and act professionally. You don’t always need to wear a suit—business casual is usually fine—but for business occasions, it’s best to dress more conservatively than you might normally dress. The top eighteen inches of your body are the most noticeable, not only for neatness and style.
During the Expo:
* Take 5 minutes after you check in to review the list of attending employers via the Career Fair+ app or the program you printed from this website.
* Show interest and enthusiasm by smiling and speaking clearly. Walk confidently, with good posture. Make direct eye contact and shake hands firmly. Have a positive greeting: "Hello, I'm Andy Lee. I'm a mechanical engineering major and will graduate ------. I'm interested in talking with you about.....(co-op, intern, or career opportunities)." Prepare a short statement (a sentence or two) about something that interests you about their industry and/or specific company.
* Answer questions clearly and concisely, especially if there’s a line behind you.
* Ask about opportunities and hiring needs. (Don't ask about pay!) Ask if they are accepting resumes. Ask for a business card, and thank them for their time. Pick up company information too, not just the giveaways.
* When you leave, note your impressions right away. (Since you will talk with several company representatives, it is easy to forget or mix up the information you received.)
After the Expo:
* Since you have business cards and company information, you can write individualized letters (include a resume with each) to those employers which interest you.
* Many employers will interview on campus through Engineering Career Services later in the semester. Be sure you’re registered with ECS so you can be one of those interviewed!